The Sourdough Diploma takes your knowledge and understanding of sourdough to another level.
For over ten years now, I have been teaching people how to make bread that nourishes. Both the understanding of bread and our own bodies has changed during this time as has technology. however one of the main shifts has been in our priorities as what we want out of life. COVID has changed us and – and a a major cultural shift towards learning online, I felt that it is certainly time for a change.
One of the most significant changes is that is really exciting is that people have a a genuine passion for sharing the knowledge. I have seen how my students have created beautiful lives baking and sharing breads all over the world opening bakeries and teaching others to make Sourdough.
With this in mind, we have rebuilt the Nutrition & Digestibility of Sourdough Course as a 1 year online Diploma.
The diploma is a combined course, with both an online programme and live lectures and demonstrations you can attend virtually at the school here in Northamptonshire.
I have reworked the diploma to teach a different classic sourdough formula and cake to suit the seasons, and the specific modules covering all aspects of nutrition, with practical recipes and baking exercises that go far beyond the base level of knowledge of any course I have previously taught.
Is the diploma suitable for beginners?
Although the diploma is suitable for beginners, you will get far more from the course if you have some sourdough making experience before attending, so you at least have an idea of what it means to bake sourdough.
What can you expect to learn on the Online Sourdough School Diploma course?
Part of our aim is to challenge you to think about bread differently. Sourdough is the oldest way of making bread and uses naturally occurring wild yeast and lactic acid bacteria. The process of baking sourdough is sensuous and nurtures both mind and body. It requires a thoughtful and spiritual approach. Artistic and scientific, what Vanessa teaches is a combination of passion, patience, dedication and craftsmanship. It is about connection, using hands, touch, smell, taste, sight, heat and mind. It is about wellness, but it is also about making sourdough work for you.
This is about far more than learning to make sourdough; this is about you and your bread. You will learn to make beautiful sourdough, but you’ll also learn about yourself and why the composition of your gut microbiome matters and, and how your diet affects both your physical and mental wellbeing. It is not just a one year course, but a full programme, and we support your baking on the Sourdough Club forum
– PROGRAMME DETAILS –
The course follows a 12 month syllabus are taught in conjunction with Vanessa’s book The Sourdough School & Sweet Sourdough.
that is split into modules. Each module covers a specific topic and is made up of:
- A schedule of recipes and baking tutorials and baking exercises that tie in with the topic. The practical delivery of recipes and baking tutorials is via The Sourdough Club where you will learn everything you need to know about baking including
- A live baking clinic to explore a fuller understanding of each step of the baking process, and the opportunity chat about your bakes and cove subjects such as including:
- A collection of specific studies that will be available to you via the Diploma drop box link.
- A combination of lectures (some that are live and some that are pre recorded) by the Sourdough School team, including our in house GP, nutritionalist, gut microbiome specialist as well as some guest lectures.
- You will be tested in a written paper and practical baking in ENGLISH at the end of the Diploma. This is to ensure that you have understood all the principles of sourdough before the diploma is awarded. We will mark it together in a live group exercise as a means of reinforcing the key principles of making great sourdough, as our final live lecture of the year)
- What happens next?
Once payment is made and you have applied to attend, the team will consider your application. When you have been accepted, an email will be sent to you confirming your place on the course and you will be invited to chat with Vanessa about what you want to achieve form the course. If Vanessa has any concerns, she will be able to discuss this with you and we will send an email confirming that you have been accepted and that your place is secure.
Any other questions? Just send us an email (email@example.com) and we’ll get back to you.