What is the Bake for Health Certificate?
You will learn to bake bread that is good for you. We apply the findings that we teach from our research to all our recipes. It’s about the application of the nutritional, medical and lifestyle evidence to the techniques and ingredients that we use to bake bread…and the result? Beautiful bread, every day that supports gut health and that nourishes.
Who does this course appeal to?
This course is ideal for both bakers as well as healthcare practitioners, and we don’t assume any baking knowledge, making it suitable for anyone with a passion for baking. So, if you simply have a passion for baking sourdough for their friends, family, neighbours and your community the course is also suitable. This year’s students include professional bakers, home bakers, GPs, nutritionists, dieticians, health care professionals and a farmer.
One of the reasons that this amazing syllabus has a broad appeal is that the course started life as the baking module on the RCGP Nutrition & Digestibility of Bread course we taught here at the Sourdough School in 2019.
We subsequently had so many bakers asking to join the course, wanting to learn how to apply the nutritional evidence and bake healthier bread, that we curated it as a standalone certificate so that anyone who is passionate about baking for health can enrol on. We’ve kept this certificate as the other half of our Diploma, so whilst you can enrol on this course as a standalone course, this certificate is also included within both our Diplomas in conjunction with the Impact of Bread on the Body and Mind Syllabus.
What will I learn?
This is about baking for optimal health and week by week you will learn how to bake sourdough bread and a wide variety of sourdough baked goods that can positively impact health & wellness. We bake and eat to; reduce bloating, support gut health, help manage weight, balance blood sugar and improve mood. You will also learn to eat your bread symbiotically to optimally nourish the gut and support a healthy digestive system.
You will learn how to:
- Refresh, maintain and connect to your starter
- Mixing, shaping, scoring and baking techniques
- Achieve open, light, beautifully structured bread
- Make healthy sourdough bread
- The differences between roller-milled & stoneground flour
- When to change your starter into a chocolate or sweet starter
- The mechanisms to control fermentation and digestibility
- How to bake to suit your schedule
- How milling your own flour increases nutrition and diversity
- All about Botanical Blend flour
- Why your gut microbiome is important
- What to do when things go wrong with your bakes
- The flavour and nutritional properties of heritage grains, including Einkorn, Emmer, Spelt and Khorasan
- To assess and recalibrate your baking
- Use up left-over starter to make every day easy
- You will practice not just to bake sourdough but to apply knowledge and you will be guided along a syllabus that builds your baking skills up, along with recipes that include:
- High hydration sourdough boules
- Sourdough Brioche
- 10-minute sourdough technique
- Sourdough fizz
- Cultured butter
- Pickles & compotes & soups to eat your bread with
…and of course by the end of the program you will be baking beautiful open crumb boules, both light flavoured French style Pain De Campagne and those lovely tangy San Francisco style open crumb boules. We have also included a 2nd year if you would like to stay, when your course is finished, with a monthly Alumni members fee of £19.99 a month thereafter.
How does it work?
This is a guided self-learning, structured course with lessons, tutorials, recipes, detailed videos, and a paced pathway so you can bake every week over a year, in the same way I was once taught on my apprenticeship. The course will build your confidence, prioritising understanding and knowledge. This is the most comprehensive course you can do online as a guided learning pathway
- You are supported via our private support group, our community, on the Baking Forum.
- Vanessa does regular Live Clinics through the year where you can ask direct questions to her about the recipes and anything that is not covered.
- You can comment on a lesson, and we will reply.
- There are regular new recipes and tutorials added throughout the year.
The base Bake for Health Certificate is also the foundation syllabus for The Nutrition & Digestibility of Bread Diploma
We teach the Nutrition and Digestibility of Bread Diploma which is made up of two modules (The Impact of Bread on Body and Mind, and the Bake for Health Certificate.) So for Diploma students, both the syllabi run synergistically alongside each other, and so the baking tasks, Clinics and tutorials are scheduled to tie in with the topics taught on the Nutrition and Digestibility of Bread Diploma. This means students can apply the knowledge they have learned on topics such as blood sugar management, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), nourishing the gut microbiome, as they learn to bake. I guess this is the fun part of learning, where students can literally eat the evidence they are learning about.
We highly recommend that you read the syllabus and the REQUEST FULL COURSE PROSPECTUS before enrolling.
*Please note that you cannot upgrade or do one syllabus and then the next one the following year as they are tied to the same live tutorial schedule. You can either do the Bake For Health Certificate alone, or as part of the Nutrition & Digestibility Diploma.