“It is beyond bread’
There is increasing evidence that what we eat affects the way we feel. This workshop is centred around the core of Vanessa’s research.
We”ll be discussing the potential of Food to influence Mood
Scientists are beginning to understand that certain bacteria in the gut known to be positive bacteria are involved with the production of the chemicals that may also help to regulate mood. There are also increasing evidence that certain live probiotic bacteria, known as psychobiotics may have a positive influence on mood. We’ll be discussing some of the most up to date evidence in this area.
Your gut and your brain are in constant communication. The mind and the gut are connected by an information superhighway highway known as the vagus nerve. Our body relies on our brains for all the operating instructions. This information travels both ways. Our gut microbiome is known as ‘the second brain,” and the number of nerves in our gut even outnumbers those found in the spinal cord. Our guts actually act semi-independently of the brain through a variety of reflex circuits that govern its movement, secretions and the vessel dilation required for the absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream.
- We’ll be discussing studies around food and wellbeing, and foods that support the positive bacteria in the gut. We’ll be making our diversity bread and increasing prebiotic fibre to nourish positive bacteria, using studies on increased bioavailability of fibre through fermentation, and foods that have been shown to increase positive bacteria in the gut.
- Part of this course is looking at how baking is a therapeutic tool, and how we eat bread to improve mood.
- We’ll also be exploring how when you feel stressed, it can affect your digestion and may well affect the balance of the gut.
This workshop will suit people who are working in the mental health sector such as psychiatrists, occupational health practitioners, mental health nurses, social workers, psychologists, councillors and community support workers. If you are wondering if this is a relevant course for you, please get in touch and we will be happy to discuss this further.
What is included
- 12 months – a Gold membership to The Sourdough Club. (RRP £199)
- An exclusive ceramic jar with breathable wooden lid & some of our starter to take home
- A set of sourdough record cards
- A personalised signed The Sourdough School book worth £19.99 (we also stock other books by Vanessa – if you have this one already we can offer another instead or we can gift you a bottle of wine from the family Vineyard.)
- All the teaching materials & supporting documentation
- A personalised embossed certificate of attendance
- A Sourdough School Workbook – a stunningly beautiful workbook that you fill in as part of the week to write up all the recipes we develop, any notes and information you want to remember. It is an amazing keepsake and one that you will keep adding to when you go home.
- A selection of flour that we use on the course, to get you going when you get home.
- Wine tasting & tour of the family vineyard (providing the proprietors are available)
- All food and drinks whilst at the school are provided, including lunch out on Tuesday when we go to the farm shop or market.
Please read our Terms and Conditions before you book.
All of our information for attendees can be found here