Level: For Any level
Tutor: Vanessa Kimbell
£1495 - Monday 13 May 2019
Time: various Monday - Sunday
Availability: Spaces available
The one week sourdough diploma is not simply to give sourdough bakers an in-depth understanding of the principles of baking sourdough bread, but understanding the specifics of fermentation. Our focus at The Sourdough School is on making the most nutritious, and delicious bread part of a healthy lifestyle. We combine hands on baking with evidence based learning and relevant research papers, and apply the science as we bake.
This is my favourite month – May, it is probably the prettiest time in the garden. The apple and quince trees are in full blossom, the earth is warming up, and the birds are singing their hearts out. There’s fresh growth in the herb garden, so we are able to gather handfuls of flavour-filled leaves for making pesto, and the first salad leaves of the season are ready for picking. It’s wild garlic season too, with lots of the fragrant leaves and delicate white, star-shaped flowers available to use in our cooking. We will forage for some wild garlic to bring spring flavour to our bread. And we’ll also be using pickled lemons, made earlier in the year, combined with olives to create a loaf with a taste of the Mediterranean.
The aim is to challenge you to think about bread differently, it is the oldest way of making bread, and uses naturally occurring wild yeast and lactic acid bacteria. The process of baking sourdough is sensuous and nurtures both mind and body, and requires a thoughtful and spiritual approach. Artistic and scientific, it is a combination of passion, patience, dedication and craftsmanship. It is about connection, using hands, touch, smell, taste, sight, heat and mind. These are the elements we connect with here at the school.
- The workshop will be run by The Sourdough School founder and sourdough specialist Vanessa Kimbell.
- There will be a Q & A session with our resident GP (Doctor) Alison Coleville on functional medicine, wider health issues and how these relate to bread.
- 2 x 45 sessions walking for health with our in house health & fitness instructor Lee Robinson.
We will make:
- Classic Sourdough
- Olive & pickled lemon bread
- Wild garlic bread
- Cultured butter
- French style compote from garden fruit
- Cultured cream
- Pain De Mie
- Russian Rye
- Sourdough Pizza
ALL THE PRINCIPLES OF BAKING SOURDOUGH ARE INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE.
- Learning about how to get a beautiful open crumb sourdough loaf.
- How to refresh a starter
- Starter maintenance
- Learning about versatility and purpose of different leavens
- Understanding each step of the process
- You will find a rhythm – and plan your baking schedule
- Flavour – demystifying how to control the sourness of your sourdough
- Milling our own flour
- Learn about mixing and kneading techniques
- Looking at the role of salt and how this affects the rise
- Understanding how water and various hydration levels affect your bread
- We will look at the role flour has on the finished bread in detail
- Make sure that you really understand the point at which the bread is proved
- Please note that the teaching involves a combination of both hands on baking and some demonstrations for certain recipes, however, you will be involved in every aspect of mixing, shaping and proving sourdough, through to the bake. We slow things down and will look at the details that really make the difference.
- Discovering why sourdough is particularly nutritious and digestible
- Learn about prebiotics and probiotics
- You will be tested in a written paper in ENGLISH at the end of of the week. This is not aimed to fail, but it is essential to be awarded a diploma to certain that you have understood all the principles of sourdough. It will be marked as a group exercise as a means of re-enforcing the key principles of making great sourdough.
For more information on what is included and to expect when you attend a course please click here
Before you book Please see full terms and conditions here. Please note that you must be over 18 to attend the workshop. Any Questions? Just send us an email and we’ll get back to you. We look forward to welcoming you to the course.
We very much look forward to welcoming you.