“It is beyond bread’
Twenty years ago, when Vanessa embarked on a mission to discover why she could digest sourdough and not yeasted bread, there was not much clinical evidence on why sourdough is easier to digest. One of the things that was clear to her was that the fermentation process itself significantly changed the way her body processed bread.
Over the years keys studies have been published that confirmed why yeasted bread is one of the foods that are often implicated in triggering IBS symptoms, but recent research now shows the mechanisms by which the fermentation makes sourdough less likely to cause dietary discomfort when eaten in moderation. This evidence indicated that the long fermentation associated with sourdough can reduce the FODMAP levels by up to 90%.
Modern yeasted bread, made with additives and rapid fermentation using just yeast, is a high FODMAP food. Eating traditionally made sourdough, made with a lower gluten flour, is low FODMAP and therefore more easily tolerated by people suffering IBS.
But what if we could take this one step further?
In this workshop, we will look at a collection of other studies, on ingredients, length of fermentation, choice of grains, and lifestyle changes and combine these studies that have robust evidence of improving the discomfort of IBS to create a program to improve IBS symptoms. The Microbiome is at the core of our research on bread. We will be creating a blend of flour, milling the grains to make fresh flour and creating new formulae for some beautiful gut-friendly sourdough bread focused on reducing FODMAPS and supporting gut health.
What is included
- 12 months – a Gold membership to The Sourdough Club. (RRP £199)
- An exclusive ceramic jar with breathable wooden lid & some of our starter to take home
- A set of sourdough record cards
- A personalised signed The Sourdough School book worth £19.99 (we also stock other books by Vanessa – if you have this one already we can offer another instead or we can gift you a bottle of wine from the family Vineyard.)
- All the teaching materials & supporting documentation
- A personalised embossed certificate of attendance
- A Sourdough School Workbook – a stunningly beautiful workbook that you fill in as part of the week to write up all the recipes we develop, any notes and information you want to remember. It is an amazing keepsake and one that you will keep adding to when you go home.
- A selection of flour that we use on the course, to get you going when you get home.
- Wine tasting & tour of the family vineyard (providing the proprietors are available)
- All food and drinks whilst at the school are provided, including lunch out on Tuesday when we go to the farm shop or market.
Please read our Terms and Conditions before you book.
All of our information for attendees can be found here