Level: For Any level
Tutor: Vanessa Kimbell
Monday 3 December 2018
Time: various Monday - Sunday
Availability: Fully Booked
This winter Sourdough Week is one of our favourite weeks of the year. It’s cinnamon butter, sourdough toast, frosty mornings, woolly hats, blustery walks, pots of tea and the excitement of getting gifts ready for family and friends as Christmas approaches.
The workshop will be run by The Sourdough School founder and sourdough specialist Vanessa Kimbell and amongst the aim is to give sourdough bakers an in-depth understanding of the principles of sourdough, of flour, digestibility, gluten, hydration and of shaping loaves with a festive feel.
You will learn to make:
- Overnight (retarded) classic sourdough loaf
- Russian rye bread
- Cultured butter
- Nordic Spiced buttermilk
- Fresh cranberry mincemeat Galette with cultured cinnamon cream
- Wholemeal Chapatti dough
- Pistachio & Saffron Pain De Mie
All the principles of baking sourdough are included in this course.
- Learning about how to get a beautiful open crumb sourdough loaf.
- How to refresh a 100% hydrated starter
- Starter maintenance
- Learning about versatility and purpose of different leavens
- Understanding each step of the process
- You will find a rhythm – and plan your baking schedule
- Flavour – demystifying how to control the sourness of your sourdough
- Milling our own flour
- Learn about mixing and kneading techniques
- Looking at the role of salt and how this affects the rise
- Understanding how water and various hydration levels affect your bread
- We will look at the role flour has on the finished bread in detail
- Make sure that you really understand the point at which the bread is proved
- There is a combination of both hands on baking and some demonstrations so you will be involved in every aspect of mixing, shaping and proving sourdough, through to the bake and we will be looking at the details that really make the difference.
- Discovering why sourdough is particularly nutritious and digestible
Whist the teaching will centre on every aspect of sourdough bread, there will still be time to savour your bread, to relax, to breathe deeply and just lose yourself in the delicately-spiced, festive sweetness of long, slow fermentation and in the beauty of winter in our rural Northamptonshire setting. We will try to incorporate a walk into each day’s schedule, weather permitting.
- You will have some free time, and with the opportunity to walk, cycle, visit the local pubs, or pop in the local cheese mongers and bakery.
- The course aim is to give you the confidence and know-how to bake your own homemade, artisan, sourdough loaves.
- It will be a fun week, full of information, demonstrations and baking.
- All participants will receive a certificate of attendance. Once you have booked a full schedule will be sent to you.
Monday 3rd December to Sunday 9th December – 7 days
Timings: on the first day, the Monday, please arrive at 9.50am ready for a 10am start. All other days start at 9am. Each day normally ends around 6pm but each day can differ. On the last day, the Sunday, the course ends at 4pm.
For more information on what is included and to expect when you attend a course please click here
Before you book Please see full terms and conditions here. Please note that you must be over 18 to attend the workshop. Any Questions? Just send us an email and we’ll get back to you. We look forward to welcoming you to the course.
We very much look forward to welcoming you.