“It is beyond bread’
This workshop is ideal for diabetics or people working with anyone needing to control blood sugar and support gut health. White bread is well known for spiking blood sugar levels, and we know that wholegrains are a better choice. Wholegrains are richer in fibre and release energy more slowly; but what if there is more? There is a significant body of evidence that suggests that the way in which flour is milled, the kind of grains used, the length of fermentation and the way we eat our bread significantly slows the rate of assimilation of carbohydrate. We’ll be looking particularly at resistant starch and the accompanying foods that may help lower blood sugar response and support the gut microbiome.
We’ll be creating a bread with this research in mind using a blend of wholegrains including rye, and sprouted grains, and we will be milling grains to make fresh flour to create a new formula designed to optimise blood sugar management and support the gut microbiome.
Attendees will need to be able to and happy to monitor their own blood sugar levels throughout the workshop, using whatever method they normally use. If you are attending one behalf of someone else of course this won’t be necessary.
What is a sourdough workshop?
Learn to Make Sourdough
You will learn more than you even knew there was to learn, including:
- Every step of making sourdough
- Starter refreshment
- Blending and milling flour
- Familiarisation of the variables affecting fermentation
- About fibre, protein & gluten in the flour
- An overview of nutrition & digestibility of bread
- Eating symbiotically for optimal gut health
- Why diversity is key to gut health
- About the gut microbiome and why the kind of bread you eat matters
- Probiotics & prebiotics
What is included:
- A lifetime membership to The Sourdough Club.
- An exclusive ceramic jar with breathable wooden lid & some of our starter to take home
- A set of sourdough record cards
- A personalised signed The Sourdough School book worth £24.99
- All the teaching materials & supporting documentation
- A personalised embossed Diploma certificate
- A Sourdough School workbook that you fill in as part of the week to write up all the recipes we develop, any notes and information you want to remember.
- A selection of flour that we use on the course.
- You can also book a wine tasting & tour of the vineyard (providing the proprietors are available)
- All food & drinks whilst at the school are provided, including lunch out on Tuesday when we go to the farm shop or market.
- There are just 4 places available on each course.