“It is beyond bread’
This workshop is ideal for diabetics or people working with anyone needing to control blood sugar and support gut health. White bread is well known for spiking blood sugar levels, and we know that wholegrains are a better choice. Wholegrains are richer in fibre and release energy more slowly; but what if there is more? There is a significant body of evidence that suggests that the way in which flour is milled, the kind of grains used, the length of fermentation and the way we eat our bread significantly slows the rate of assimilation of carbohydrate. We’ll be looking particularly at resistant starch and the accompanying foods that may help lower blood sugar response and support the gut microbiome.
We’ll be creating a bread with this research in mind using a blend of wholegrains including rye, and sprouted grains, and we will be milling grains to make fresh flour to create a new formula designed to optimise blood sugar management and support the gut microbiome.
Attendees will need to be able to and happy to monitor their own blood sugar levels throughout the workshop, using whatever method they normally use. If you are attending one behalf of someone else of course this won’t be necessary.
What is included
- 12 months – a Gold membership to The Sourdough Club. (RRP £199)
- An exclusive ceramic jar with breathable wooden lid & some of our starter to take home
- A set of sourdough record cards
- A personalised signed The Sourdough School book worth £19.99 (we also stock other books by Vanessa – if you have this one already we can offer another instead or we can gift you a bottle of wine from the family Vineyard.)
- All the teaching materials & supporting documentation
- A personalised embossed certificate of attendance
- A Sourdough School Workbook – a stunningly beautiful workbook that you fill in as part of the week to write up all the recipes we develop, any notes and information you want to remember. It is an amazing keepsake and one that you will keep adding to when you go home.
- A selection of flour that we use on the course, to get you going when you get home.
- Wine tasting & tour of the family vineyard (providing the proprietors are available)
- All food and drinks whilst at the school are provided, including lunch out on Tuesday when we go to the farm shop or market.
Please read our Terms and Conditions before you book.
All of our information for attendees can be found here