Level: For Any level
Full Price: £1299
Date: Friday 8 November 2019
Time: 10am - 6pm
Availability: Spaces available
Limited Edition – NEW FOR 2019
This about baking sourdough & well being. It is our most intensive course, and better suited to people who have baked some sourdough before. If you are a beginner please contact us to discuss.
You will learn to make beautiful sourdough bread, whilst learning about yourself and the composition of your gut microbiome, and how your diet affects both your physical and mental well being.
- Starting before you attend the school you will be sent a test to check the composition of your gut microbiome. The cost of the tests are included as part of the course
- With your personal microbial analysis you will then attend a 3 Day Sourdough & Gut Microbial Health course here at the school.
- This is followed by a 12-month home-development program, with a class forum, formula’s & step by step guides.
- At the end of the 12 months you carry out a 2nd gut microbial analysis to see any differences in the balance of your gut microbes through changes in your diet.
There is an ever-increasing body of evidence linking gut microbial diversity and balance with optimal health. Not just physical health, but general well being, and the way you feel.
This course was developed from, what was originally, the 1-day Royal College of General Practitioners’ accredited Bread Nutrition and Digestibility courses for GP’s. However we have had so many requests to combine this evidence-based course with a practical version of to how to make sourdough bread, along with the desire to understand more about our own individual gut microbiome, that we have developed a new course to do just that.
Suitable for any level this course teaches you not just how to make sourdough but why and how eating in a way that supports gut microbial health may well be beneficial in supporting your health. The course starts with you getting your gut microbiome tested and then with your personalised results, attending the school so you can learn how to use specific bread making techniques that focus on your individual microbial balance and the relationship between fermentation of bread, wholegrain, fibre, probiotics, prebiotics, and using wild cultures.
2 months before the course.
Test your gut microbiome (you do this at home)
Before you attend the course we will send you an Atlas Biomed gut microbial testing kit. This is a simple procedure and you will learn about the composition of your gut microbes. This needs to be carried out 2 months before the course.
1 month before your course and you will receive the results of your gut microbial tests. This gives you time to read and process the knowledge of your personal gut microbial analysis and make-up of your personal profile. The tests are accompanied by a fantastic amount of feedback and support by Altas Biomed. Everyone’s microbiome is different, so by taking the time to understand your individual microbiome the techniques that you learn on the course are relevant and applicable to you as an individual.
Attending a 3 day Sourdough & Gut Microbial Health Tutorial Group (this is held at the Sourdough School) –
- There are just 10 students
- At the heart of the course is connecting with every aspect of baking sourdough & understanding the process of how to make a delicious open crumb sourdough loaf
- You will be making overnight (retarded) sourdough breads using formulas that have been developed specifically to support the gut microbiome
- Learning all about starter refreshment, mixing, proofing, shaping and baking
- Discovering how the fermentation process transforms bread
- Learning about how to get both prebiotics & probiotics layered and incorporated into your diet
- You will be baking pan loaves with wholegrain, Rye, Einkorn, Emmer, Spelt & Barley flours
- Developing techniques to increase diversity in your diet through bread
- Using nuts, seeds & fruit, to increase flavour, texture & nourishment of your bread.
- Discussing the benefits of antioxidants, fibre, fats, protein and starch in bread, as well as general health, gluten intolerances and related digestive issues
- Looking at how longer, slower fermentation increases the ease of digestibility & nutritional value of your bread.
- We have modules that include an overview of bread and diabetes, obesity and weight issues, IBS, as well as autoimmune diseases & how you can help reduce inflammation.
- You will be learning about the different types of yeast and microbes in the flour and how to culture the kind that may increase the availability of nutrients that potentially support your gut microbiome
- Learning about the gut microbiota & we will be discussing the latest studies
- You also will learn how to schedule & plan your time to fit these techniques into your life
For the next 12 months you will follow a 12 month program
Continuing to learn and develop sourdough and applying the techniques & recipes you learnt with dozens of in depth articles and studies – the course doesn’t end when you leave the school. The program is supported with the 12 months access to the GOLD student tutorial package, with over 300 supporting articles, and class notes.
1 year on…RETESTING your gut microbiome to determine any changes.
This has been put together using Vanessa’s research, and is based on applying an understanding of the specific mechanisms by which fermentation of grain potentially supports gut microbial health, and applying the techniques and knowledge to both the bread and the accompanying food. We will be referencing reliable, science-based evidence, and discussing these as we bake.
Vanessa is a French-trained & qualified baker & chef and currently studying towards a PhD in Nutrition & Digestibility of Bread, so you can also expect a truly delicious long weekend of amazing loaves and delicious lunches devised to optimise gut microbial health. All the supporting drinks, ferments and pickles that accompany the lunch recipes are also shared with students.
We also take a short break each day to walk outside and enjoy the gorgeous rural location and wander around Vanessa’s beautiful English Country Gardens.
We are a centre for research as well as education and this course is subject to our terms & conditions. Please read these before you book. By booking you are accepting these terms.
Places are strictly limited to 10 students, and there are only 2 dates in June 2019 & September 2019.
BOOK YOUR PLACE NOW