£245 - Friday 27 October 2017
Time: 10am - 6pm
Availability: Last space available
This is our basic sourdough course. It is perfect for the complete beginner, for those new to baking sourdough bread and anyone who wants to learn to make artisan sourdough bread in their kitchen at home. It is a participative demonstration day, so you will be involved in mixing, shaping and proving sourdough, and every aspect of sourdough will be explained from starter maintenance to getting a beautiful loaf out of the oven. (Please note that this is an introduction level course. For students who wish for a fuller more encompassing course that is fully hands on all the way through we recommend the Beginners Sourdough Weekend Courses – these are much more hands on as there is the time for students to bake their loaves completely from start to finish.)
The course is held in a beautiful Victorian kitchen and as you learn to bake a classic French miche, you will also:
- Refresh a starter (which you will take home)
- Learn the principles of how to maintain a starter
- Understand and learn how to maintain a healthy robust starter
- Understand the basics of how water, salt and flour choices affect the crust and crumb
- Look at baking times and how to get the kind of crust you really want.
- Have a basic understanding of how sourdough behaves, and recognise how the dough behaves,
- Learn a basic French style sourdough loaf technique and how to get a really great loaf every time you bake.
A delicious home-made lunch is included with cultured butter, local cheese, and fresh garden produce, served with a glass of local Fleurfields award-winning wine.
SMALL TUTORIAL GROUPS –
We keep to small tutorial size classes.
With Vanessa’s courses there is continued support when you get home. There is home work to do and Vanessa gives feedback. Students automatically become members of The Sourdough Club for students to share their sourdough bread success, and discussion on. It’s a fantastic way to keep you inspired with a monthly sourdough challenge, exclusive recipes, tips, techniques, articles and an interactive Facebook page so students are supported with learning resources, and you become part of a community and this keeps on encouraging you to bake sourdough long after you have finished the course.
At the end of the of the class you will be confident with all the knowledge you need to bake your own home made artisan loaves yourself. It is a fun day, full of information and practical demonstrations that you get involved in.